Counselling Clinical Lead
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: £32,487 – £35,617 (dependent on experience)
Location: Across Telford & Wrekin and Shropshire where required
Holidays: 25 days plus statutory holidays per annum to be calculated pro rata to hours worked
Reports to: Counselling Manager
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To co-ordinate the delivery and growth of the therapeutic counselling services, to ensure compassionate, safe, effective, and efficient delivery of high-quality care of clients through counselling provision. Work with the Counselling Manager to ensure that the Counselling provision meets contractual obligations and requirements. Provide leadership and management to the team of Counsellors
Management and Leadership
- Co-ordinate the day to day running; development and future planning of the client facing services that Axis provides directly to clients within the Counselling service, ensuring an equitable, pro-activate and safe service.
- Recruit, induct, support and provide leadership and line management to the therapeutic team of counsellors, promoting best practice and the mission, vision, and values of Axis.
- Keep staff records up to date on HR system
- Responsible for the recruitment and management of external clinical supervisors
- Responsible for ensuring adequate supervision of counsellors, and internal clinical Supervisors. Ensuring that all counsellors and Supervisor’s follow the Organisation’s administration systems and internal methods of work.
- Support and facilitate reflective practice, problem solving and personal development of the therapeutic team
- Ensure staff all complete mandatory training and access additional training where required or appropriate.
- Take Lead/ Guardian roles relating to patients such as (but not exclusively) Caldicott Guardian as required by the Counselling Manager, CEO or Board of Trustees.
- Raise the profile of Axis and the Counselling Service
- Prepare narrative, examples of best practice and case studies in line with contractual arrangements and internal arrangements, and for the development of bids and tenders as requested
- Undertake regular monitoring and evaluation of all aspects of the clinical delivery of counselling and where appropriate make or recommend changes
- Participate in internal and external meetings as required, and attend training events, conferences, and other functions as necessary
- Write quarterly reports on the counselling service for the CEO and Board
- Attend and contribute to Senior Operational Management Team Meetings, representing the therapeutic team
- Attend Trustee meetings if required
- Handle any clinically related complaints that may arise or escalate these where necessary
- Deal with counselling staff grievances within their team or escalate these where necessary
- Promote the principle of equality, diversity, and inclusion
- Actively participate in the Safeguarding SPOC (Single Point of Contact) team including participation on the on-call rota (including out of hours cover)
- Actively participate in Safeguarding and risk management decisions
- Attend weekly safeguarding meetings
- Ensure that all safeguarding concerns are dealt with in a consistent manner, in line with Axis’ policies and procedures; and that there is always a Safeguarding SPOC on-call during the allotted hours.
Therapeutic service development
- Co-ordinate the day to day running of the provisions provided by the Counselling Service
- Have active oversight of all clients entering and leaving the services.
- Develop relationships with potential referral partners
- Assess gaps in service delivery and make recommendations
- Identify and, in conjunction with the Counselling Manager and/or CEO and local partners, develop opportunities to extend and/or develop services to meet identified needs
- Keep up to date or create policies and procedures to maintain and continually improve the standards of clinical and therapeutic practice at Axis in line with the organisation and BACP ethical framework and embed this across the Service
- Work with the Counselling Manager and/or CEO on grant applications or funding appeals to help develop the therapeutic service
Training, research, trading and promotion
- Develop and deliver training both internally to staff and volunteers as well as externally as required to other agencies, stakeholders and interested parties, plus contribute to Axis’ development of training and education programmes.
- Be aware, use and share evidence-based approaches to trauma relevant to the therapeutic development of the team and contribute to research in this area, where feasible
- Where feasible and necessary, create volunteer roles to support the therapeutic service
- Formulate ideas for the development of Axis, and the Counselling service.
- Work with other members of the SMT to update and maintain the information on Axis’ website, twitter and other social media platforms
- Attend promotional events
Personal development and support
- Identify and attend appropriate training opportunities
- Actively participate in own caseload and clinical supervision
- Undertake Designated Safeguarding Lead training and keep up to date.
- Manage own caseload of clients and supervisees including conducting assessments
- Daily use of IT, such as Salesforce, Teams, Outlook and other Microsoft Office products
- Undertake any other duties that fall within the nature of the role, and as required by the Counselling Manager, CEO or Board of Trustees.
- Work within the policies and procedures of Axis Counselling
- Promote the values of Axis Counselling
- Work flexibly as a member of the team and be responsive to changing needs
The post will be reviewed six months and following consultation with the post holder duties may change or be developed subject to available funding and the needs of the service
Please note that the post holder must have a Full driving licence and a vehicle available for work.
Counselling Clinical Lead – Person Specification
(This form indicates how the different requirements may be assessed during the selection process).
|Essential / Desirable
A – Application form I – Interview E= Essential D=Desirable
|Qualifications and training|
|Degree level in Counselling/ Psychotherapy||E||x|
|Registration/ Accreditation with UKCP/BACP/BPC||E||x|
|A minimum of 5 years post-qualification experience as a counsellor/ psychotherapist||E||x|
|Experience working with volunteers and/or placement counsellors||D||x|
|Experience of supervising and managing teams||E||x|
|Experience of working towards achieving individual and team objectives||E||x|
|Some experience of managing service development in a similar environment||E||x|
|Appropriate experience of writing and presenting reports||D||x|
|Experience of reviewing, amending, developing and implementing policies and procedures||E||x|
|Extensive knowledge of person-centred therapeutic theory, practice and interventions||E||x|
|Extensive knowledge of clinical supervision theory and practice||E||x|
|Knowledge of issues affecting the mental health of individuals||E||x|
|A proven track record in the Counselling and Supervision Arena||E||x|
|Knowledge of sexual abuse or sexual assault therapy/ service||E||x|
|An appropriate theoretical understanding of group therapy||D||x|
|Sound understanding of teamwork and team building||E||x|
|Some knowledge of safeguarding issues||E||x|
|Good understanding of recruitments processes||D||x|
|Skills and experience|
|A participative leadership and management style||E||x|
|Effective oral and written communication skills||E||x|
|Well-developed interpersonal skills||E||x|
|Effective people management and interpersonal relationship||E||x|
|Good time management with ability to multi-task||E||x|
|Ability to undertake assessment of clients||E||x|
|Excellent people management and negotiation skills||E||x|
|Coordination and decision making (able to organise, plan and prioritise own work)||E||x|
|Ability to manage change||E||x|
|Knowledge and experience in using IT (including Salesforce, Teams, Outlook and other Microsoft Office packages)||E||x|
|Commitment to incorporating equal opportunities and diversity principles in all aspects of work||E||x|