Sexual Trauma Counsellor
Hours: 4 days per week (28hrs)
Salary: Starting at £30,091 FTE (to be calculated pro rata to hours worked)
Location: Across Telford & Wrekin and Shropshire where required
Term: Fixed term until 31/03/2025 (potential to extend, subject to funding)
Holidays: 26 days plus statutory holidays per annum to be calculated pro rata to hours worked
Reports to: Counselling Lead
Closing Date: Noon – Friday 4th August 2023
Interviews Tuesday 15th August 2023
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To work with adults and children over 11+, who have experienced any form of sexual abuse at any time in their life, by offering a range of therapeutic interventions within one-to-one counselling to facilitate their ability to cope and recover.
Duties and responsibilities
- Complete assessments including ongoing risk assessment and management, one to one counselling, case formulation and assessing the appropriateness of counselling for clients.
- Provide counselling to clients in line with Axis guidelines.
- Maintain adequate electronic and appropriate paper records of clinical work and provide appropriate statistical returns as required.
- Assist in the evaluation of the service by contributing to data collection.
- Maintain effective time management to ensure clients are not kept waiting.
- Fulfil professional clinical supervision and line management requirements as specified in Axis Employee Handbook.
- Attend meetings and/or training as required.
- Be aware of and comply with the AXIS policies, procedures, values, and service standards.
- Participate in any other activities as directed by Senior Management.
- Ensure that all safeguarding concerns are dealt with in a consistent manner, in line with Axis’ policies and procedures.
- Commitment to keeping up to date with research and opinion in the field of counselling and therapy and mental health and in relation to neurodiversity specialism.
Personal development and support
- Attend monthly line management supervision.
- Attend monthly clinical supervision.
- Identify and attend appropriate training opportunities.
- Maintain Continual Personal Development.
- Manage own caseload of clients.
- Daily use of IT, such as Salesforce, Teams, Outlook and other Microsoft Office products.
- Undertake any other duties that fall within the nature of the role, and as required by the Counselling Manager, CEO or Board of Trustees.
- Work within the policies and procedures of Axis Counselling.
- Promote the ethos and values of Axis Counselling.
- Work flexibly as a member of the team and be responsive to changing needs
The post will be reviewed after six months and following consultation with the post holder, duties may change or be developed subject to available funding and the needs of the service.
Please note that the post holder must have a Full driving licence and a vehicle available for work.
Sexual Trauma Counsellor – Person Specification
(This form indicates how the different requirements may be assessed during the selection process)
|Essential / Desirable
A – Application form I – Interview E= Essential D=Desirable
|Qualifications and training|
|Recognised professional qualification (Minimum Level 4 Diploma) (training to inc. approx. 420 hours learning/ 10 hrs personal counselling/ 100 hrs supervised practice)||E|
|Registration/Accreditation with UKCP/BACP/BPC/NCS or equivalent||E|
|A minimum of 500 hours supervised practice post qualification||E|
|Training, experience and competence in working with a variety of theoretical orientations i.e., person centred, psychodynamic, CBT, DBT, Solution Focussed etc.||E|
|Experience of counselling and working at depth with people who have experienced significant life events||E|
|Experience of managing own caseload||E|
|Experience of managing risk and handling safeguarding concerns||E|
|Ability to maintain confidentiality appropriate to the setting and abide by AXIS confidentiality policy||E|
|Eligibility for BACP accreditation (or equivalent registration) or evidence that the counsellor is working towards this status||E|
|Knowledge and understanding of sexual abuse/ violence and its impacts||D|
|Experience of contributing to service evaluation and development||D|
|Ability to work within a time limit (counselling sessions last 50 minutes)||E|
|Ability to work effectively with colleagues from other disciplines||E|
|Effective oral and written communication skills||E|
|Well-developed interpersonal skills||E|
|Effective people management and interpersonal relationship||E|
|Ability to undertake assessment of clients||E|
|Excellent people management and negotiation skills||E|
|Coordination and decision making (able to organise, plan and prioritise own work)||E|
|Knowledge and experience in using IT (including Salesforce, Teams, Outlook, and other Microsoft Office packages)||E|
|Knowledge of and commitment to equal opportunities and anti-discriminatory practice||E|
|Eligible to work in the UK||E|
|An Enhanced DBS check||E|
|Willing to access training related to duties||E|
|Able to travel as required||E|